client CPU usage while idle

Mumble about Mumble

client CPU usage while idle

Postby gabi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi,

I have a client connected to my local server (other machine). I'm alone on the server, deaf and muted, with no microphone plugged. Debian Linux package version 1.2.8~7~g76f6870-2+b1.

The current CPU usage on my client machine is 2 process * 3% each, AMD 64, 2300 MHz. This seems a lot to me for idling... What is the reason for that? Is there an audio signal processed despite I'm death and muted?
gabi

Re: client CPU usage while idle

Postby kissaki » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 pm

The Mumble client continuously catches audio input so that when you unmute and start talking again, it can make out noise again (voice activation and/or noise suppression).
MumPI: Your Mumble Web Interface in PHP
kissaki
Team member
Team member

Postby fwaggle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:57 am

kissaki wrote:The Mumble client continuously catches audio input so that when you unmute and start talking again, it can make out noise again (voice activation and/or noise suppression).

Also note that if you're on a platform/machine where this is unacceptable for one reason or another, there are unofficial patches out there that add a "true idle" to the audio processor. It's completely unsupported, your mileage may vary, etc etc, but it's out there.
Full disclosure: I run a semi-commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.
fwaggle
Team member
Team member

Postby gabi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:29 am

Ok, thanks for your replies.
gabi

Return to General