Serial Port COM on mumble Clients

How to do...

Serial Port COM on mumble Clients

Postby freakbeat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:12 pm

I haven't seen anything about this topic, i'm trying to use Mumble for HAM/CB radio but the only thing that stops me is that we need any kind of external control for our radios to do the switch between transmision and reception.
for Ham radio apps is common to use the serial COM port to do this job.

I read about this and mumble is not going add this feature soon, so my question is how i can add or patch the mumble client to do this?

modifying the source code or building a plugin?
if is on the source code, where is the best place to start playing with it?

thanks
freakbeat

Re: Serial Port COM on mumble Clients

Postby fwaggle » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:18 pm

This has been discussed before, but my Google-Fu is failing me and I can't seem to find it. IIRC the advised method for activating the transmitter when Mumble is receiving was using the same stuff the G15 keyboard module does.

We don't really have a general purpose plugin module for the client, plugins are almost exclusively for positional audio in games and applications.

If you're familiar with C++, Mumble's source code isn't that terrible and there are Wiki pages with instructions for building on various architectures.
Full disclosure: I run a semi-commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.
fwaggle
Team member
Team member

Postby freakbeat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks fwaggle, where i can find about the G15 keyboard module? I know a little bit of C++ but i tried to build the enviroment for windows and i have some questions, where is the right subforum for this kind of questions?

thanks again
freakbeat

Postby kissaki » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Best would be to ask via IRC, where we could answer interactively.
If you want to build, best use the mumble-releng environment.
The G15 stuff can be found in the `g15helper` subfolder in the mumble repository. I do not know where specifically it interacts with Mumble though.
MumPI: Your Mumble Web Interface in PHP
kissaki
Team member
Team member

Return to Usage