This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

unable to talk with mumble though hearing fine

ricky64

I have a friend who invited me to join in a mumble using community; i have a notebook asus eeepc 1005 2GGB ram W7 and it does work fine with skype; i installed mumble and i tried to do my best with parameters following the guidelines from my friend; but no matter what i do it is still the same: there is no problem to connect on the server with mumble but no sound out from the microphone (though the microphone still works with skype !!) and i am nevertheless hearing the members of the community talk !!!!!!! so what is wrong? any idea to help ? thanks a lot

• Administrators

Did the microphone work during the wizard (you can redo it with "Configure->Audio Wizard") ?

If not make sure the right input device is selected.

If that's the case did you see any indication of input being received during the wizard (any movement/sound when making loud noises / tapping the microphone).

Also if your friend told you to setup push to talk make sure you are hitting the right button.

If this doesn't resolve it please report back.

Thanks a lot ddot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will hear explain my stupidity but i do it too because it may well come to help for others i just cant tell...

ALL you advised i had been doing.......... The thing was that during the audio wizard there was never any movement indicating any audio input.............

Now here is the explanation. As i used skype with the inbuilt microphone from my netbook i thought that it would work without any other device; just telling i am not too well traine dusing a speaking device (i mean a headset); reading all your explanations i decided to check again with the headset: here the thing: when you go to "sound" in windows parameters you have TWO microphones (one for the inbuilt and one for the headset of course); i had not understood this at first so the thing DID work fine AFTER i did plug in correctly the red AND green plugs from the headset.

conclusion

if you have a notebook, skype does work fine with or without headset BUT mumble DOES REQUIRE a headset because it does not take the inbuilt micrphone (at least with my asus eeepc 1005)

just telling in case other people meet problems with their netbook..........;

thanks a lot again

• Administrators

Good to hear you could solve your problem. Actually Mumble ought to work with the internal mic (though you definitely want to use a headset. Your mates will thank you for it ;) ). Not sure why it wouldn't in your case.

I can get my hands on an EEEpc (probably not the exact version though) and will try whether I notice anything odd when using Mumble with it. Thanks for reporting back.