This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

some members in one channel don't hear each other

tufuwe

Hi,

this happened now quit often, but I don't know what triggered it and I'm also not sure exactly what to do to get it OK again:

We start a meeting and I talk to the people which are coming in the channel. Everything seems fine.

Then after some discussion on my side I hear two people talking at the same time. Then I realize that person C,D,E can not hear person B. But person B hears C,D,E.

I, person A, I can hear and talk to all of them.

What we do then is: to ask the "partially heard" (B) person to mute and unmute and then sometimes the others start also to hear person B.

I, as a superuser try also to mute and unmute person B, but I don't know which of the actions recovers the person.

The really annoying thing about this is, that I have *no* visual way to determine that this wrong behavior is currently happening.

Only by shouting to each other this situation is revealed.

Is this a feature which I missed?

Is there a know workaround? Or at least a way to "see" the problem, before the people start to talk at the same time...

server: 1.2.4

clients: 1.2.3, 1.2.4 and 1.2.5

but it also happened with server 1.2.3 and clients 1.2.3.

We use a mix of linux and windows and MacOS clients. But it also happens if no MacOS client is involved.

Thanks,

Michael

The ACL allows setting specialized permissions to talk and hear. Could you check/describe your channel and ACL setup you used?

I guess “sometimes the others start also to hear person B” is a misconception.

The ACLs I use are shown here:

http://picpaste.com/mumble_auth_all-SBfaBUpF.png

http://picpaste.com/mumble_auth_auth-w7EuZq7V.png

http://picpaste.com/mumble_auth_admin-XQBENOQP.png

And the misconception is bad english on my side.... Sorry!

What I meant was, that after muting and unmuting on the client side as well as a muting and unmuting the "partially heard person" as the admin, *all* start to hear the person.

About ACLs: Do they really allow that only a subset of clients in one channel can hear a person.

And if so, why does muting/unmuting fix that?

I'm sure that there is no icon on the "problematic" person which shows that it is muted by the server! If it was the case, *nobody* should be able to hear him... But a part of the group can hear him/her.

I hope that the problem we have here is clearly explained by me...

Thanks a lot,

Michael

• Administrators

Muting/Unmuting should not affect effective ACL (the permission to hear that person) at all.

So your problem occurs when everyone is in one channel? Then hearability most certainly should not change.

I would guess you are not using priority speaker (which would lower other peoples volume when the priority speaker speaks - on the client side).

Muting/Unmuting should not affect effective ACL (the permission to hear that person) at all.

So your problem occurs when everyone is in one channel? Then hearability most certainly should not change.

I would guess you are not using priority speaker (which would lower other peoples volume when the priority speaker speaks - on the client side).

Yes, it happens if a group of people is in one channel (3 up to 10 members). If I try to remember when it happens, I guess it only happens with two individuals. With others I didn't observe the problem up to now (or I can't remember).

One is for sure using a Windows-client.

And no, we don't use the priority speaker feature.

Am I right if I assume that there is no such feature, that in one channel the hearability is not selective to certain members? So, there is no such feature (except individual muting of a person), which make a person only hearable only to a group of people (in one channel!)?

Is there a way to debug this further? Maybe a certain server debug level?

For me this is a major issue as I use mumble in larger groups and people tend to be very intolerant to technical issues and ask me to return to skype (which I don't want!)!

Michael

• Administrators

Am I right if I assume that there is no such feature, that in one channel the hearability is not selective to certain members? So, there is no such feature (except individual muting of a person), which make a person only hearable only to a group of people (in one channel!)?

Priority speaker can affect volume if a priority speaker is speaking.

ACLs can influence who hears whom, but not volume.

There is also audio attenuation, which influences entire applications. But Mumble does not influence itself.

Quite some time back I remember one user reporting strange volume adjustments, which was caused by Skype in the end I believe.

Either way, you could try (telling people) to disable allowing audio attenuation in their systems audio output device settings.

Playback devices -> appropriate device (Speakers) -> Advanced -> {disable} Allow applications

Playback devices -> Communications -> Do nothing

Configure -> Settings -> {disable both checkboxes for} Attenuate applications by…

Does any of that help?