This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Usernames and passwords

field-mouse

Hi!

Is there any way to use usernames and passwords instead of certificates? We have tried using certificates but we really dont like it. Nobody backs up their certificates and we end up having alot of multiple registrations and stuff. Alot of trouble for everyone. =P Usernames with passwords would have been way better for us and our users. =) Its also a fairly simple and easy concept that people recognize, the users dont even know what a certificate is, let alone what they need it for.

• Administrators

Mumble still supports password authentication. You'll have to get a management solution for setting the passwords through the Servers Ice interface though. Once the passwords are set and users connect with a unknown certificate they'll be able to authenticate by password.

But really ;-) Certificates are far more handy then passwords. They also are more secure. It's not like sending them to yourself via mail or backing them up on a USB drive is hard.

I see, could you recommend any good management solutions then? =) Havent really found any that Ive gotten to work fully.

And no, its not hard to take a backup, but people just doesnt do it! And at the end it becomes our problem (the admins).

Thanks for your help =)

• Administrators

And at the end it becomes our problem (the admins).

Well, if they forget their password, its just the same as changing the key of the account.

Of course if they use a password that either so easy to get and remember or if they use it for so many other things as well it's not that secure any more. And that is questionable from a security point of view.

Anyway,

you can find interfaces in the wiki at

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Running_Murmur#Web-Interfaces

If you have problems setting up Ice for your interface, eg if you're using my MumPI and have to get Ice working with PHP, check

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Ice

If that doesn't help you and you still need help with one of them, just ask.

• Administrators
I see, could you recommend any good management solutions then? =)

Sorry. But I neither use nor tried any of the available interfaces yet. My personal server is just too small. But I imagine most might offer this feature, at least if they existed in 1.1.X times, since back then cert auth didn't exist.