This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Server connection failed: Connection timed out.

vynn

I'm having the above error pop up time and time again. I have been working on this for six hours now, I even changed my IP address just to see if it would work.

I have even set up about four or five port forwardings from my router for this. This program once worked for me in my old flat after many hours of work, but now? It's doing this yet again. I just can't figure out why!

I have the usual for the port, my localhost server works, but my actual server used for communication doesn't - giving me the titled message of "Server connection failed: Connection timed out."

I pinged my IP, there's nothing wrong with it, I've checked the ports in the settings and matched them to the program, and read through the murmur.ini file all day to no avail. PLEASE HELP ME.

When troubleshooting, I start as closely to the service as I can and work my way out. I should make a Wiki on how to do this for Mumble.

You said Localhost works, that's about as close as you can get. Can you try from another host on the LAN? If that works, it will eliminate the server's firewall, or misconfiguration because of IP addresses being wrong, etc. If it doesn't work, then you know where to look next. I usually disable the firewalls for these tests, then enable it after the program is working. Then you know for sure your firewall is or isn't working as expected.

If it works from the other client on the LAN right away, that's great. Then you check router firewall rules. Make sure your server is set to a static IP (internal) or has a DHCP reservation so it never moves on the network. Then, make sure that both TCP and UDP are forwarded to the device. I would recommend checking from a neighbor's internet if they are on the same ISP. That just narrows the scope. You could also try using your own public IP into your mumble server field from inside your LAN, but the issue with this is traffic from inside your network could hit loopback rules instead of leaving than coming back in.

If all that works, but other people aren't able to connect, it may be an issue with your ISP, though, very VERY few ISPs block random high ports coming in. If it doesn't work, I recommend actually hooking up your PC outside of your LAN with a static IP that's internet like, but in the same subnet as your router. This gets a little more complicated, but is the only way to eliminate the router as a problem entirely. I have several routers just so I can do this if I have any issues. It often pays to have a $10-$20 router that supports Tomato or similar on hand for this reason. I can swap my router with a cheap one for a few hours or days while I test/fix any issues I have. I got this one for $10 on sale one day: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320158. something like it is massively helpful in troubleshooting, and allows me to use all internal addresses, so I don't have to hook myself up outside of my LAN. To do that, you can set your WAN port to a static address on your LAN, then put the server behind the router. Try to connect to Mumble Server using the WAN IP (that's actually a LAN address on your network) you just gave it to see if your port forwards are working correctly. If this is confusing, I can make a quick diagram on what it looks like. In fact, I may just do it anyway.

Here's Before:

http://i62.tinypic.com/8ycgpf.png

And here's after. Changes are made bold to make them easy to notice:

http://i62.tinypic.com/30ayo84.png

Good luck