This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Silent exit Mumble 1.2.5 on CentOS 6.5 (SOLVED)

brocklobstar

Howdy all,

I had an odd problem that I managed to solve so I wanted to stick something on the interwebs in the hope that it might help someone down the line.

System pertinents: CentOS 6.5, x64

I had compiled murmur via the instructions found here -> http://mumble.sourceforge.net/BuildingLinux and everything seemed to compile fine. When I went to run murmur I originally got an error to the effect of: murmurd unable to find libprotobuf.so.8. I noticed that libprotobuf had installed into /usr/local/lib which wasn't in my system's library search path, so I just copied them into /usr/lib64/ which solved the issue. Then I got into another odd issue where I would start murmur as suggested: ./murmurd -v -ini /path/to/my/ini . It would tell me that it opened the sqlite database and then immediately exit.

So I started it with strace: /usr/bin/strace -o murmurd.strace /path/to/my/murmurd -v -ini /path/to/my/ini which, after loading the libraries and writing some things to the sqlite database I got to:

fcntl(12, F_SETLK, {type=F_UNLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0}) = 0
gettimeofday({1395703649, 599850}, NULL) = 0
clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0x7f7b69bf8ab0) = 1970
exit_group(0)                           = ?

Those of you who are sharper at *nix debugging will immediately see the problem with my strace command but there's more debugging steps I took that I think may be helpful.

I wasn't sure what was going on, so I checked the usual spots in /var/log and saw in /var/log/audit/, /var/log/audit/audit.log had a hint for me

type=ANOM_ABEND msg=audit(1395706276.932:223): auid=500 uid=501 gid=501 ses=1 pid=2381 comm="murmurd" sig=6

sigabrts? Heavens! So I started it up with gdb via: /usr/bin/gdb --args /path/to/my/murmurd -v -ini /path/to/my/ini , once gdb loaded it I typed 'r' to run it and it gave me and it told me my program exited normally but it didn't follow the child fork. Ah-ha! So I modified my strace call to be: /usr/bin/strace -f -o murmurd.strace /path/to/my/murmurd -v -ini /path/to/my/ini and re-ran it, this would tell strace to follow any forked processes and hopefully tell me why they were failing. Low and behold I get the following:

2381  write(2, "process 2381: ", 14)    = 14
2381  write(2, "D-Bus library appears to be inco"..., 206) = 206
2381  write(2, "  D-Bus not built with -rdynamic"..., 64) = 64
2381  rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [ABRT], NULL, 8) = 0
2381  tgkill(2381, 2381, SIGABRT)       = 0

Ok we're having a problem with DBUS! I checked my installs via sudo yum list installed | grep -i 'dbus' and found that dbus wasn't installed. So I grabbed it via yum. In my Googling the above errors I found that I needed to run dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id in order to fix the error. So I ran that and SHAZAM, it worked. Hopefully this will help someone down the line who decides to compile murmur from source on CentOS and runs into this odd issue. Or someone who runs into a different issue and wants to take some elementary debugging steps to try and track it down.