This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Need to restart Murmur after boot

recsu412

I have just installed Kubuntu 10.04 and trying to run murmur on it but i have encounter a problem.

After i reboot the computer i must manually restart murmur to be able to connect to it, trying both from same computer and others on the LAN. I have manage to get php and ice running so i can connect through a webadmin and a channelviewer at the same time I fail to connect with mumble client. I'm new to linux and ubunu so i have no idea where to look for the problem. Any idea?

• Administrators

So you can see live-data via your web interface?

Well, Murmur seems to not bind to your network ip then, you can probably connect to it locally? (is it a remove srv or a desktop system on which you can try that?)

You can also

netstat -lnt | grep YOURPORT

to see if murmur really binded to the port and is listening.

Thanks for the help!

Its a desktop so i have Mumble installed too and the strange thing is that i cannot connect from the same machine.

After boot i run

netstat -lnt | grep 64738

and it seems mumble-server not listening on that port.

After restart of mumble-server then it is listening...

So how do i get it to start correct after boot?

Just a throw in the dark, but could it be that murmur is started before your networking is setup. This explains why you can connect to murmur through ice and not connect to it with mumble (UDP,TCP). But can connect to it after a restart of murmur, because the networking is then setup.

Cheers.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

Just a throw in the dark, but could it be that murmur is started before your networking is setup. This explains why you can connect to murmur through ice and not connect to it with mumble (UDP,TCP). But can connect to it after a restart of murmur, because the networking is then setup.

Cheers.

That seem logic to me but is there anyway to delay the startup of mumble?

Edit:

I solved it. I'm letting KDE handle the startup and it then bind to the network.

Nice to be of help. But is should normally work, so one question to complete the picture.

Did you install murmur from the general repository or from slicer's one?

Could you also provide the output of the following commando's.

find /etc/rc* -name "*networking"
find /etc/rc* -name "*mumble-server"

Thanks

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.

find /etc/rc* -name "*networking"

/etc/rc0.d/S35networking

/etc/rc6.d/S35networking

find /etc/rc* -name "*mumble-server"

/etc/rc0.d/K95mumble-server

/etc/rc1.d/K95mumble-server

/etc/rc2.d/S95mumble-server

/etc/rc3.d/S95mumble-server

/etc/rc4.d/S95mumble-server

/etc/rc5.d/S95mumble-server

/etc/rc6.d/K95mumble-server

But my solution wasn't any good...

Using that method to start mumble-server makes the connection with ICE to fail...

I have installed with both metods but the output now was with the general i think, i was installing using

apt-get install mumble-server

Just found out that Ubuntu is using Upstart instate of the traditional init-process. I am on Debian testing using the traditional init-process at boot. If you would be on Debian your networking would not be started at boot time, as runlevel 0 and 6 (rc0.d and rc6.d) stand for halt and reboot. But you are on Ubuntu so maybe Upstart is controlling your networking.

Maybe someone also using Ubuntu can help you.

Have you checked murmur's log to see what is actually going off? It should indicate if it successfully binds to a IP address and port (or not).

I've never used upstart before (CentOS fan here :D) but I believe you can configure a job with "start on network-interface-up" to run the job script to start murmur after networking has started properly (Think you can include additional parameters to the start on.. to limit it to specific networking devices as well) and you've got a IP address if you're using DHCP (Not sure why you would on a server but..)