This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Adding audio effects

bluedirk

• Administrators

What we currently call “plugin” in Mumble is only for Positional Audio.

We are aware that making Mumble more extensible would be great, and providing such a plug-in system is a long-term goal for us.

Unfortunately, we do not have anything like it in place right now, and our time is limited.

If you want to go ahead though, we are very open to suggestions, discussions, and patches/code. You could just extend Mumble itself in your own code-base, or tackle the plugin-system for Mumble.

What I need is to grab the (stereo) stream received from other clients, apply audio post-effects to it and then finally send it to the user.

From what you answered, I might assume Mumble hasn't been prepared for that kind of interaction. If there is, where can I hook into?

Thanks so very much.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators
What I need is to grab the (stereo) stream received from other clients, apply audio post-effects to it and then finally send it to the user.

From what you answered, I might assume Mumble hasn't been prepared for that kind of interaction. If there is, where can I hook into?

This is correct, as far as I'm aware. We have no general purpose plugins or hooks for the audio side of things - the best you can do at the moment is something like Virtual Audio Cable on Windows: a pseudo device that Mumble outputs to, which alters the signal, and then sends it to the real output device.

Also note that Mumble's audio stream is never stereo, as far as I know.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• 3 years later...