This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble stops functioning after about 2 minutes.

gigadude7

It is a very similar problem to the one described here. My only difference is that I'm not connecting using a server that I run, and it stops working after about 2 or 3 minutes instead of 20. It was not doing this 2 days ago, and I don't recall changing anything, but help would be appreciated!

• Moderators

Can you define "stops functioning"?

Next time it does it, please right-click yourself and pick "Information", and tell us what the to/from UDP client counts look like?

Do your lips turn red in the client? Does opening the configuration window, changing something (anything) and clicking "Apply" help?

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Moderators

Do those packet loss counts go up suddenly when it stops working, or is 4~5% pretty common?

Does forcing TCP mode in Mumble's network settings do anything? (Note that with that ping deviation and packet loss, TCP mode will likely cause some giant lag, it doesn't seem like your connection to the Mumble server is very stable at all).

How about disabling QoS (also Mumble's settings)?

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

Okay, so here's what is different from when it was working and now when it's not working. The two things that I have changed are:

I have moved to college and am now using dorm room internet,

I have changed from a wired to a wireless connection, the usb dongle that I'm using to conneck to the WiFi is a Netgear WNA3100.

Other than that, nothing has changed.

• Moderators

Does anyone else in your dorm use Mumble without issue?

Because those packet loss numbers are pretty messed up. And yes, TCP mode will lag you if you're dropping packets because the OS will resend late/lost packets and the OS will stack them up in order when they arrive.

I'd personally suspect your dorm's internet - quite likely an anti-P2P thing is severely throttling packets and catching Mumble as well.