This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

User cannot be re-registered

nickasummers

So my friend was messing around with his mumble settings (was trying to set up two seperate instances to run a bot on one) and ended up being unable to connect. No problem! I remove him from the registered users list, he connects just fine. Except he can't re register himself. I can't register him. The option isn't even on the list, not even for admin. I had him try changing his name, that didn't work either. Other users can be registered, but not him. What do i do?

• Moderators
He probably removed his client certificate - his identification.

He can import his old one (from a backup) or create a new one with the certificate wizard.

Or he's still running it with the -n flag or whatever it is that causes Mumble to not load the certificates (useful with -m or whatever it is that loads multiple instances).

But if it's a clean-start, then yeah, that's probably it. If he blew away his cert trying to get it to connect twice, the -n flag may be of some use to him.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem.

I created a Murmur server on my computer and connect to it locally. I registered my username and gave it full privileges. I registered remote users. I then installed a public certificate for the Murmur server. I then used the same certificate for my registered username. At some point I deleted my own user registration from the registered user list. Currently my username cannot be registered nor can any new username which I create. I have tested a combination of usernames with the both the public certificate and Mumble's self-created certificate. None of these combinations allow me to register my username, I can only enter the allowed channels.

I am reluctant to reinstall Murmur because I might lose my channels, ACLs and registered users. What is the least labor intensive way to register my name and become an admin of the Murmur server again?

• Moderators
I am reluctant to reinstall Murmur because I might lose my channels, ACLs and registered users. What is the least labor intensive way to register my name and become an admin of the Murmur server again?

Re-run the certificate wizard in Mumble client should do the trick.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.