This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

[SOLVED] mumble-server binds to all hostnames

Plackles

mumble is binded to an ip address not an hostname.

if all of your hostname resolv to the same ip address , then mumble will respond to all of them.

if you want that mumble respond to only one hostname, you must bind it to an ip address that reverse to only one address.

mumble is binded to an ip address not an hostname.

Are you sure about that? Because the comment regarding "host=" in the mumble-server.ini says:

# Specific IP or hostname to bind to.
# If this is left blank (default), murmur will bind to all available addresses.

What if I had more than only one mumble-server running on my system?

• Moderators

It will resolve the hostname to an IP address, then bind to that IP.

It is not possible to bind to only a single hostname, if all those hostnames point to a single IP address.

If you want to run multiple Mumble servers on the same machine, you either need to run them on separate ports, or on separate IP addresses.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Administrators

I guess the comment is mistakable/unclear.

Domains will *always* resolve to an IP, before a connection is established - not just for Mumble, but *any* IP based communication (pretty much all PC programs).

Programs on the PC bind to IP + port, never to a domain.