This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble is dropping a users packets when they try to game

super-roach

Hello,

I'm trying to fix a friends problem with mumble. We've been trying to fix it for the last few days.

In short, when he tries to run a game like call of duty at the same time as mumble, his connection will drop out from the amount of packet loss he receives.

In order, what happens:

Start Call of duty, or mumble. Playing the game, or using mumble is fine (only the one application running)

Start mumble, which will work fine. Then run call of duty, and join a server. His mumble will show a few hundred dropped packets fairly quickly , and it'll resync a few times over a while. He can't talk, but apparently can hear us talking to him..

Once this happens, he will often need to restart his pc for it to work normally again. He does not have other people on the network saturating his connection.

It gets trickier when we try other programs. Ventrillo 3, Teamspeak 2 work fine while he is in game.

To check he's not maxing out the packets, we have set his audio per packet to be 40m/s. We have also tried turning the quality down to 25kbit/s, which is near the far left.

We have tried disabling QoS in mumble, from the network tab.

His machine is Windows 7 32 bit. It is running on a fairly high speed cable, that gets approx 6meg download, and 60kilobytes upload. It's faster than my connection, and should have plenty of room to do almost anything and run mumble.

I have spoken on irc about this, and the current suggestion now appears to be manually update his network card drivers the next time he is on so we can cross out a hardware problem. Are there any other options I can try?

Screenshot showing the dropouts:

http://imgur.com/5vLCg.jpg

Here are some idea's you could try.

You could try to run mumble in TCP mode. Within the network tab check "Force TCP mode". This will increase the latency, but could improve the connection. If the connection is improved there is something wrong with the UDP implementation of his network driver.

If his computer is a laptop he could bring it to you to rule out his router,modem,ISP.

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.