This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Overlay Not Working Mac OSX w/ WoW

SnowyRow

I had installed Mumble 1.2.8 on my machine a few weeks ago, and the overlay worked alright as long as I opened Mumble before WoW. Since WoW's 6.0.2 patch Tuesday, however, the overlay will not work.

My husband's game actually crashes when he attempts to use the overlay with WoW, but works without the overlay.

We are both running OS X 10.9.5 with the latest WoW update, 6.0.2.

Is there anything we can do to fix these issues, or will an update be pushed that will work it out? (If it is a fix we need to do ourselves, please be clear on instructions of what to do - I saw something on a wiki article about pathing the overlay through WoW, but I have no idea how to actually do that.)

Thanks.

• Administrators

Sorry, I have no Mac to test, nor WoW.

I guess that it uses OpenGL though?

The OpenGL overlay uses the same code for all of OpenGL, and seems to be pretty robust. Not sure why it would suddenly not work any more - or why only in WoW.

WoW is the only game I play, so I don't know about others. I DID just set another application to have the overlay shown... but I seem to get nothing there. Unfortunately, I did the upgrade to 10.9.5 2-3 days before the patch dropped, so I can't say it worked in this rev of the OS and the older vsrsion of WoW... others who use 10.9.5 & 5.4.x WoW, did it definaitly work prior to the WoW patch?

Macericks (10.9.x) I think does have a later version oif OGL and as WoW write to the screen, SOMETHING may very well have changed there. Not top,mentiuon, but Yosmite (10.10) is now offically shiping.

Seems the Mumble tech folks need to speak to the Blizz devs...

I updated my WoW before installing the new OS, and it indeed stopped working on the WoW update, not the OS update (although I'm sure neither helped).

- Sorry, I may be wrong here... I realize that you mean you upgraded the OS to a pre-Yosemite patch before the WoW. I actually don't know if I did that before the WoW patch. >.<

Yes, VERY happy someone is working on it! The one of two "issues" I had with the overlay was the 32 vs. 64 bit issue, but a while back on a minor update, I COULD use the overlay running WoW in 64 bit mode. The other issue I COULD work around, i.e. the need to first launch Mumble (but not necessarily connect to a specific server) before I launched WoW. Yes a PIA, but at least i DID have a way to make it all work.

The odd thing is several folks in my WoW raid group can't seem to get the overlay working and none are on Macs! I wish I had tried Mumble after updating to 10.9.5 (Mavericks) but before patch 6.0.2 was landed by Blizzard. FWIW, my OS is now out of date, but I may very well take a while to update to Yosemite (10.10).

If you need me to provide any testing service, don't hesitate to ask, I do have a pretty long history doing closed alpha and beta testing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm gonna bump this again to ask if anyone's made any progress on this...

I've also come to find that some of my friends that are not using macs are having issues with the overlay in WoW as well. So it's got to be a game/program issue, not necessarily a mac client issue.

PLEASE let us know this is still being worked on. It's a real bummer not being able to use this feature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Fixed in git.

Available in the latest snapshots on the wiki frontpage:

http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page

1.3.0~537~gf8b63cd~snapshot as of this writing.

Please note there's a bug in the overlay that makes it now show up

if you're using Shadow Quality greater than "Low" the overlay might

not show up for you:

https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/issues/1561

You can work around that by starting WoW with Shadow Quality set to

Low, and then set it up when in game, if needed.

We'll hopefully fix this shadow issue soon.

Awesome! So glad you guys found a fix!!

Is there a place where I can see the definitive updates for mumble moving forward? I'd love to know when/if you get the shadow quality thing worked out, so I can stop turning it down, then back up once I get logged in. For now though, I'm just glad for a fix!

Thanks a ton for working so hard!! :)