This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble Will not Transmit Voice

seabar

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for the help :)

First I'm sure you'd love a little background, so here it goes. I installed Mumble, used the Mumble configuration wizard, and then connected to a server. When I attempted to speak, it would not transmit my voice to my friend on the other end. I went through, toggled my settings, even matched them to what was working for him. I also did a loop test to the server and heard myself perfectly.

It appears my settings are in order, is there anything else that would prevent my voice from getting to other people in a mumble server?

• Administrators

If you can hear yourself via server loopback (and not without it, so you're sure it's not a local loopback via system etc) tell your friend to check his output.

Doe he hear anything, mumble sounds, others?

If he does hear, tell your friend to enable TCP-Mode (which should automatically activate if your friend has problems with UDP, but well…) and try again

I'd be the friend he's referring to. I can hear sounds from the client and whatnot just fine and have no issues transmitting either. I tried forcing TCP mode (just for giggles), but no change. The problem's not on the receiving end.

The situation here is really interesting and frustrating. We still use Ventrilo right now (because Mumble's not working for him, for one), and things work PERFECTLY for him there. The difference, though, is that he's using DirectSound with Ventrilo (which is not an option in Mumble since he's on Vista). Any idea why he'd be having issues simply transmitting with WASAPI? Or, perhaps, is there a way to force Mumble on Vista to use DirectSound instead?

Just brainstorming ideas and throwing out tidbits here.

• Administrators

If you can hear yourself with server loopback the issue is on the receiving end. Make him also try the server loopback. Usual culprits for not being able to receive voice are broken NAT routers (in this case a port forward for TCP _and_ UDP might help), broken QoS in the router (usually affects data flowing both ways, disabling QoS in the mumble network config might help) or an overeager denial of service protection in the router (we send lots of small packages at a high rate to keep latency low, misconfigured intrusion detection might mistake this for an attack).

If he is not able to hear himself on local loopback (or in the wizard for that matter) make him redo the wizard and doublecheck his settings there (especially the output device). Hearing Text to Speech output (the usual "Connected to server" etc.) does not mean audio output is actually working, this system uses Operating System facilities for playback that might have a different configuration and are independent from Mumble's.

Hope you are able to resolve the issue.

Take 4

seabar: The mumble server can mute you depending on the settings of the server. This will show up in your system icon. If you are not muted there will be a set of lips in your system tray, which will turn red when your transmit your voice. If your are not in the same channel most server will not pass the voice to the other person. This again depends on the settings of the server. So try another server to see if it helps.

vatillion: WASAPI is not the problem as seabar can perform a loop test with the server. Can you hear other people voices on the server?

Computer specs: AMD FX-8320, 8GB DDR3-SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7950, Asus Xonar D1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit/Debian Jessie AMD64.