This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Unable to log in to specific Mumble server

Elemental

I've been connecting to this server for years without issue and now suddenly I get the error "Connection failed. Remote host has closed the connection". I'm still able to connect to other Mumble channels. The server administrator assures me that no setting changes have been made and that my name is not on the blacklist. I've tried updating Mumble, deleting and recreating the connections but no success. I am the only person that seems to be having problems connecting. Any ideas? Could this be some issue with my ISP blocking this address?

Here is the info from running a tracert yesterday:

C:\>tracert vx37.commandchannel.com

Tracing route to vx37.commandchannel.com [23.82.62.92]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms homeportal [192.168.100.254]

2 * * * Request timed out.

3 * * * Request timed out.

4 7 ms 4 ms 1 ms be6294.cipc2-wpg.bb.allstream.net [199.212.165.1

17]

5 17 ms 18 ms 17 ms 199.212.160.238

6 * * * Request timed out.

7 45 ms 49 ms 44 ms ae4.cr1.ord2.us.above.net [64.125.28.49]

8 62 ms 63 ms 61 ms ae6.cr1.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.20.201]

9 78 ms 61 ms 60 ms ae5.cr2.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.20.206]

10 67 ms 65 ms 66 ms ae7.er2.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.20.234]

11 64 ms 70 ms 69 ms 128.177.104.86.IPYX-0-ZYO.above.net [128.177.104

.86]

12 61 ms 62 ms 63 ms 23.82.62.90.rdns.as15003.net [23.82.62.90]

13 59 ms 60 ms 61 ms vx37.commandchannel.com [23.82.62.92]

Trace complete.

• Moderators
error "Connection failed. Remote host has closed the connection".

How long has this been going on?

Doubtful it's your ISP - normally if it's your ISP thinking they're doing you a favor (tons of UDP packets == blackhole) the connection would just time out.

Can the server admin inspect the logs? It might be that you managed to get yourself auto-banned. These bans don't show up in the ban list, can't be cleared, and you just have to wait for them to expire.

Other than that, not really sure what's going on.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

This just started last Friday (Nov. 14).

I spoke to the server admin and he couldn't find anything he could do on his end. That's interesting to hear that an auto-ban wouldn't appear on the ban list. What might cause this to occur?

I am unable to connect to the server company's test server in the same city as well although I am able to connect to most of their other test servers. I sent an email to them to attempt to resolve this. Hopefully I hear back from them on Monday.

At this point I think it must be something server-side as I have pretty well exhausted my possible options here.

So I've spoken again with the server administrator who has been in touch with the provider (https://commandchannel.com/) and they say that there is no block occurring of my IP. They have a few test server channels (https://commandchannel.com/Network/TestServers.aspx) as well and I am unable to connect to their Dallas and Amsterdam channels but I can to the others. It so happens that the server I can't connect to is set up through Dallas as well.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

The IP address is 23.82.62.92

Port 8281

When I go into Mumble, I am able to "ping" the channel and see how who is in the channel, I am just unable to connect: "Server connection failed. The remote host closed the connection."

The fact that I am unable to connect through either my computer (by wire to the router) or my phone when connecting by wifi through my router suggests to me a problem at the router level or above. The phone is able to connect when in LTE mode but not wifi through the router.

Things I've tried so far include:

1. Disabled "Quality of Service" setting and tried to "Force TCP mode". Tried changing my user name.

2. Uninstalling and reinstalling Mumble, including removing user settings and registry info.

3. Reset my router including a factory reset.

4. Added the port 8281 to the "safe ports" on the router firewall

5. Turned off both the Windows Defender and the router firewall

6. Spoke to my ISP who is able to connect to the Mumble channel from their end (leading them to say the problem is on the server end)

7. Spoke to the server admin who has been in touch with the channel provider who confirms my IP has not been blocked (their reply says it's a problem on the computer or ISP end)

So, at this point I am really going in circles... In speaking with my ISP again, they're asking if there is any type of log file from Mumble that I can send in to help them. I can't find anything for this in the program.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!