This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

1.4 conflict with flight control rudder pedals

Janich

With the update to 1.4, Mumble stopped working for me.  After a good deal of methodical troubleshooting (including everything up to new SSDs and clean Windows installation), I have identified that the issue is caused by my flight control rudder pedals (this machine is used primarily for flight simulation).  The pedals are connected to the computer via USB.  If the pedals are plugged in to the computer (either via a USB hub or directly to the mobo), Mumble freezes on startup with the main window white and unresponsive.  If I start Mumble with the pedals unplugged (or unpowered via a hub) Mumble starts and works normally.  If Mumble is running normally and I plug the pedals in, Mumble freezes in a hot-mic setting, is unresponsive to any input, and must be closed via task manager.  The pedals do not utilize any software; they were manufactured by Slaw Device (https://slawdevice.com/en/), a boutique Polish flight equipment builder (I have emailed them with this issue as well).  I have tried checking and unchecking 'Enable shortcuts in privileged application,' 'Enable GKey,' and 'Enable XInput,' with no change to the issue.  Any ideas to address this would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

First, I know nothing about the hardware you are using, however maybe I can get the thinking juices going.

Could it be a conflict with the sound card or sound support on the mother board? Are you using the joystick support that may be attached to the sound card? Is it possible to use a different manufacturers sound card to see if it acts the same? Forgive me if you have ruled that out.

I had the issue first on an Asus Z370 motherboard.  I then replaced the motherboard (and CPU) with an Asus Z690, and the issue remains.  I suppose it is possible the issue is linked to the manufacturer since that is common between the two motherboards. Not sure how I would try a different manufacturer's sound card, but I'm open to trying anything feasible.

Well, if the sound card is integrated on the mobo you are locked in unless you install a separate one, and switch the sound support to it.

I originally had sound issues with newer versions of mumble until I gave mumble admin privs. That cleared up a lot of issues. I seem to recall one of the developers saying newer versions had to be set (in some situations) to admin privileges. Mumble stopped working if it was not in the foreground. You can give that a try as well.

• Administrators

Hi,

My best guess is that this is related to the new shortcut implementation on Windows that got introduced with 1.4. In order to verify/falsify this theory, could you download https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/files/9311442/Joystick-Input-Examples_e2f196877de59134ac1499351d8e7391f4c6a3e0.zip, start combined.exe and see whether the amount of input events registered there completely blows up when you connect your rudder pedals?

Yes, when I unplug the pedals, the scrolling, continuous output lines stop.  I can start and stop the "blow up" by plugging in/out the pedals or by toggling their USB hub power switch on/off.

Initially, it looks like this: then settle on the picture in the post above:

79c45d5fbd7283f8c76243f86d605c7f.png

Edited by Janich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...