This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Pass the Microphone option

bobr3940

I use mumble for my guild's chat needs but thought of a possible business use. I want to be able to have a guest speaker give a presentation to everyone in the channel and then be able to take questions or comments. This would require the following setup:

1 - One or more users who can speak at anytime. (admin and guest speaker)

2 - All other users are muted until they are "passed the microphone" an admin would click on their account and grant them access to speak to the group and then the admin would be able to revoke that permission once the user has finished their comment/question.

Is this possible with the Mumble server and client software currently available?

• Moderators

It's possible out of the box by having an admin manually mute/unmute each user.

If you want something a little more automated (when you right-click someone, everyone else is automatically muted) you'd have to write an Ice script for the server to do it.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.