This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

L4D2 Positional Audio

chatyak

Just downloaded the trial, but positional audio is not working with L4D2.

The option is enabled on all players. Is the plugin outdated?

I'd like to use mumble but without this feature, it's a no go.

Latest server info is:

Version 2.1.3.7 (left4dead2)

Network Version 2.0.4.2

Exe build: 15:27:38 Aug 19 2014 (5764) (550)

Build 5764

Thanks!

• Moderators

http://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Pluginguide

It doesn't take too much effort to update plugins, but they're pretty much done on a volunteer basis. I haven't got L4D2 installed at the moment or I'd take a look.

It does involve using cheating software though, your mileage may vary and we're not responsible for anything bad that happens to your account if you mess up and try doing it on a VAC server.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Moderators

Creating the plugin doesn't. The issue is you're using a debugger to search for the values which you'll put into the plugin's code to update it. The debugger people typically use is called CheatEngine, and it's not so-named for shits and giggles. :)

CheatEngine contains the ability to modify game memory, which is what can piss off VAC. If VAC decides to scan your computer's memory (I don't really know too much about how VAC works) and sees the CheatEngine process, and then you get banned, you really don't have a leg to stand on as far as Valve are concerned.

You should be fine if you just don't connect to a VAC-enabled server (I'm not sure how this works with L4D2, it's been ages since I played it, can you play offline with just AI?), but we make absolutely no guarantees about this and take no responsibility if you manage to get your account VACationed and Valve won't buy your excuse that you were just updating the plugin.

FWIW, by making sure I didn't use VAC enabled servers, I updated the CounterStrike: Source and I think a couple of other plugins without any issues, and by avoiding PunkBuster servers I updated the BFBC2 plugin as well. These days about all I bother doing is taking the offsets others find from World of Warcraft hacking forums and putting them in to the WoW plugin... but I'm still happy to help if you're interested in doing it. Once you learn to update one game, it's not hard to update others.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

Hi fwaggle,

Appreciate your insights. I do own a server and have the ability to turn this off/on (VAC). I could disable for the time being while the plugin is made and then re-enable afterwards, because just using Mumble won't cause an issue correct? It's ONLY the process of finding/changing/creating.

If someone is willing to do this, could send over $5-$10 bucks for your time.. or if you need help on something.

You can also play offline with the AI yes. I'm not exactly sure how this would work for everyone... since my server can handle more than 4 survivors at a time.

• Moderators
just using Mumble won't cause an issue correct? It's ONLY the process of finding/changing/creating.

It's an unspoken, silent consent from most anti-cheat providers that they don't ban just for Mumble sniffing the position and heading of your character. You probably won't get VACationed just for running a search over the process for the new offsets either, but we really don't know how VAC et al work so it's just a warning we toss out there in case it happens in the future.