This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble Link Positional Audio Help

SpaceCroissant

I think accepting that I'm unlikely to find the exact position where I'm walking directly up the X or Z axis (therefore only one of them is moving) means that what I mentioned before (about one of them increasing or decreasing very slightly) is probably working correctly.

As for

For example if X = 1, if I slowly rotate Z can equal all the way up to 0.1 or down to -0.1 before the X value changes. This means, for example, that it's possible for X = -1.0 and Z = -0.6, which ends up with the vector as 0.88.

. That's quite strange. These values shouldn't be possible for a unit vector. Not sure what you mean with 0.88. With those values (assuming y=0) the vector has a length of sqrt((-1)^2+(-0.6)^2)~=1.166.

Apologies - that's just me being in a rush and calculating wrong!

If you directly display/output the vector in the game does it match up with what you see in PAHelper?

The sample already has this displaying position and rotation angle (not as a unit vector), and they line up with what PA Helper is saying. I will have to get back to you on whether the actual forward vector is identical.

I'm testing this with my desktop PC running a Mumble server + client, and game server/client, alongside my laptop running a Mumble client and game client. I'm connecting to the servers via internet not LAN, however.

I've found that if, for example, I'm running PA Helper on my desktop PC, after a while the info in PA Helper will stop updating, however if I then move the other player that's running on my laptop, it will update the PA Helper on my desktop PC with its data.

Any idea why this is happening? I've going to try with an external Mumble server and another person helping me so that all the clients/servers aren't on the same network to see if this is what's causing these issues.

Thanks so much for all your help so far hacst. I'm very appreciative!

Just to update where I'm at: a friend and I tested today with an externally hosted Mumble server and us two running clients (with one hosting a server from the client, not as a separate dedicated server).

As I saw when I was testing on my own, the clients would connect fine and both would output to the Mumble client and PA Helper, however after ~10 seconds the clients get swapped. So if I moved, player 2's data in his PA Helper would update, and when player 2 moved my PA Helper info would update (everything from all the vectors down to unique ID would change to the other person).

A possible issue is maybe the game server is also running the Mumble Link code somehow, and is messing something up somehow.

The issue I mentioned before with the audio coming from the wrong side still persists, but perhaps it's because it thinks I'm standing at player 2's position.

This sounds like it's all getting rather engine specific rather than Mumble - I totally understand if I need to be posing the question to someone else!

Just in case you see this and go to respond to my previous post, I've fixed it!

After all this, it turned out to be down to where I was getting the positional data from. Many thanks for all your replies!

As an aside, how do I go about enforcing particular positional audio settings in each player's Mumble client? I've not tried it, but I've heard Project Reality uses a custom version of the client or something?

• Administrators

Awesome you found the issue.

We don't have anything to enforce PA settings in the client from the server. PR does use their own forked client and made their servers check for it iirc. (also uses the bf2 PA plugin instead of link).