This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

How to host multiple instance of mumble (server)

lvlup

Hello,

I've always been running several mumble instances on the same server by cloning/extracting the ".tar.bz2" file in different directories and simply calling "./murmur.x86" from the given directories.

Following the website update, I had a look at the installation section of the wiki for my OS (Debian) again and noticed that there is now a "mumble-server" packet in the repository. That's nice!

What's the best way to run multiple mumble servers (with independent database and config file) on the same physical server using the packet provided the Debian repository?

Thank you in advance.

Best,

LVLUp

Edited by lvlup

• Moderators

I think the way with the package provided for Murmur is to use an admin interface and to create virtual servers. So there is probably no best way for what you want to do.

Instead of extracting the binary from the .tar.bz2 you could rely the binary of an installed, but inactive murmur package to stay up to date.

• Moderators

Yeah, other than that, running system's murmurd with the -ini argument to point each one at a different config file, then in each config file point it at a different database and pid file and you should be all set. Shouldn't be very hard to set up a script to keep them all running at that point.

It's definitely set up to do virtual hosting all in the one process though.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

Hello, thank you for your answers.

I think the way with the package provided for Murmur is to use an admin interface

It sounds overkill and if these scripts can interact with mumble-server, there's no reason I couldn't do it myself from the CLI.

Yeah, other than that, running system's murmurd with the -ini argument to point each one at a different config file, then in each config file point it at a different database and pid file and you should be all set.

Exactly what I was hoping for.

It's definitely set up to do virtual hosting all in the one process though.

Can you please elaborate?

Best,

lvlup

Yeah, other than that, running system's murmurd with the -ini argument to point each one at a different config file, then in each config file point it at a different database and pid file and you should be all set.

Can I point to an empty or non-existing config file ? How do I setup the superuser password per server ?

In other words, how do I initiate a new server ?

murmurd -ini "path/to/empty1.config" -supw "foobar"
murmurd -ini "path/to/empty2.config" -supw "whatever"

(this way ?)

• Moderators

You'll require config files for each server already, they can't really be empty. You'll want to set, at the very least, the following entries:

If you want to use Ice at all, you'll want to bind each one to a separate Ice port as well.

murmurd -ini "path/to/empty1.config" -supw "foobar"

Yes, that should work (with a non-empty config file to tell it where to find it's own database). Given that they're SQLite databases, expect bad things to happen if you accidentally point two processes at the same DB and you won't be disappointed.

I think you can leave the password off the command line and it will prompt for it.

Can you please elaborate?

The "accepted" way to do virtual hosting Mumble on the same machine is to put all of the virtual servers in the same process. Short of people running them under the atrocity that is TCadmin (unless TCadmin has fixed how they "support" murmur), or people with other very specific needs to separate the processes (exposing Ice to clients, for example) there hasn't really been a reason to run multiple processes... administration-wise at least, once you clear the hurdle of getting Ice working, it's substantially easier to keep everything in the one process.

For that reason, you'll find a fair amount of friction doing what you want to do, and there may be gotchas because it really hasn't had a lot of testing. I think it's totally doable though.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.