This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Ubuntu mumble server experiencing packet loss/high ping

rendezvous

Edit: This issue ended up being host related rather than mumble-server. Considered resolved but potentially helpful to others running into similar issues, although it is no longer an issue with mumble.

Hello, I have a mid range VPS (2GB RAM) that I've been running the Mumble server on for a bit over a week, and I've noticed that it has experienced frequent packet loss and high ping at random times throughout the day, several times a day. Both CPU and RAM usage are very low, (.01 Load, below 10% RAM) and I'm inclined to believe there are no HDD bottlenecks either as it's a dev/testing server with very little running on it. I am monitoring the server from another server via nagios and observed this happening shortly after I installed Mumble. The strange part is that the mumble server is 99% inactive, being used for testing and the majority of the time has no users connected. I contacted my host, originally thinking it was an issue on their end and they moved me to a new node which should have fixed any issues on their side, but as this did not resolve the issue, and this latency/packet loss issue started happening the day I installed mumble-server, I'm inclined to believe it's somehow related to the server.

I'm a beginner-intermediate linux user/sysadmin, familiar with CLI etc, I'd like to ask for a bit of help in where I would look to start tracking down what is causing these issues, if it is indeed the mumble server that is causing this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by rendezvous

Update: It turns out that it was a coincidence after all, after several rounds with my host, they finally discovered that somebody was abusing the resources on the machine my VPS was hosted on. I've re-enabled mumble-server and have had no other packet loss issues in several days.