This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble URL using IP address

Jupiter

Hi There,

I'm wondering if there is a way to have the "Copy URL" function use my local IP address rather than my computer hostname. I'm running mumble in a local network without a DNS server, and the Copy URL function just returns mumble://.local.?title=MumbleServer&version=1.2.0, so of course nobody else on the local network can follow that link.

This is on a Windows 8 machine.

Thanks for your help!

• Moderators

What are you using to connect with?

I'm pretty sure the code just uses whatever you connected to. For example if I put the IP address in my URL then connect to it, then I pick "copy URL", I get the IP address back. Same if I put the hostname in, it copies the URL with the hostname in it.

Editing the code to support what is effectively split-horizon DNS at best, and misconfigured DNS at worst would needlessly complicate it, IMHO.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.