This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Whispering

boxg

Hey guys!

Maybe I'm not getting the whole whispering idea, but it is really annoying for me that everyone can talk to me in every channel. I'm hosting a server and put 'Disallow' in whispering check box on every single channel, but still some retards manage to talk to me. Please let me know if I can simple turn off whispering on whole server easily.

Thanks.

• Administrators

No, no easy way to disable it yet.

The checkbox, if it's on each channel, is probably to disallow whispering to that channel.

I agree one should also be able to disable receiving whispers for his client, which would be in Audio Output options probably. But it's not there yet. :)

You can check the feature-request tracker and see if there's already a ticket for that.

Thanks for your reply, kissaki!

I think that mumble is going to be a way too complicated because of all its cool features. I also don't know any normal user who is talking to his friends in a password protected channel wants to hear any other voices. It just doesn't make any sense for me.

By the way, what was the main idea of making such whispering feature? In my opinion, it is useless. Or disable it by default on clients and if someone wants to hear some random retards screaming, can enable it in settings.

• Administrators

I think it was a feature request wanted by many… :P

Well, it depends on your use of mumble and your community.

One of my clanmates already used it on me. It can be useful.

Be it to talk across channels without having to switch or anything (like when you have 2 teams playing something and one teamleader wants to tell the other one why they paused the game, or what map they want next, or whatever) or to secretly talk amongst leaders while a problem-member is still in the channel so they can decide on what to do without having to switch channels.

Just 2 use-cases…