This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

mumble:i386 with Wine on Debian

monban

I am having some weird problems trying to use the Mumble overlay on Debian Jessie with Eve Online through Wine. Most of the time, the overlay doesn't show up at all, EXCEPT when I bring up the game menu.

With the menu up, the overlay appears, sort of, but it's rotated 90 degrees, stretched, and blurred. The overlay is also shown, but only for a second, when the game is loading or the screen is refreshing from scratch.

Debian Jessie 64-bit

mumble 1.2.8-2 i386

wine 1.7.42 i386

Here is a picture of how it looks when the settings menu is open.

http://i.imgur.com/Wb9qUjXm.jpg

You can see my FPS counter in the upper right, but distorted and wrong, and the people talking at the bottom, but HUGE and distorted. The FPS should be in top-left and the "roster" along the right side of the screen, so aside from the obvious scaling issue, everything is also rotated 90 degrees. When you close the menu you can see the overlay snap back to the "correct" position, everything looks lovely, but then the game jumps on top of it.

I'm technical enough to try to investigate this further, but I haven't messed much with display libraries and the like, so I'm really not sure where to start. Has anyone ever seen anything like it? Any thoughts on what kind of troubleshooting one might try? Does anyone have the overlay working with Wine?

It's particularly interesting to me that it only shows up at all with the menu open, implies Eve is doing something weird with overlays already.

EDIT: changed some wording to make it more clear that it's the overlay that's not showing up

• Administrators

I would recommend that you try a more recent version of Mumble, more specifically the 1.3.0 snapshot series.

The overlay doesn't get much testing on Linux these days, but the general structure of the overlay is now shared with OS X in the 1.3.0 series (in 1.2.x, they're separate) -- making maintenance easier because we only have to maintain one overlay for both.

It is something I can also test and try to fix, but I don't know when I'll get to it, unfortunately.