This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

How to make it so mods can't mute admins etc

Marz

• Administrators

I don’t think that’s possible.

Actually, I guess it’s *your* state (type of user you are) and your permission on the targets position (do you have permission to do that action in that channel?).

I don’t think there is a check whether you are allowed to do action on a user depending on *his* permission.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I think the FR was rejected because Mumble's ACL system is a complicated beast that's already extremely difficult to convey in a UI fashion anyway. Adding another variable into it (user/group levels) could just further lead to more confusion and unexpected edge cases.

Considering we have things like a couple rather nasty audio bugs, likely at least a couple of bugs upstream in Qt that affect us, at least one weird network issue, and a spontaneous database corruption in the client that no one can track down... Better to explicitly reject the feature requests that require a huge amount of engineering than to leave them sit in the tracker forever.

If someone wanted to take it upon themselves to implement this, complete with tests to show it works as expected, I would imagine the official project position is "patches welcome" but a feature request for something of this scope doesn't really make any sense, IMHO.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.