This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Can I export my Murmur channel/ACL settings?

Yoten

I'm running Murmur on Debian, and both it and the OS's versions are getting pretty old. I plan on doing a full re-install of the operating system, but I don't want to have to set up my channel/ACL settings all over again if possible.

Is there a way I can back up or export these settings and easily re-apply them to a fresh installation? They're stored in the SQLite database as far as I know, which doesn't appear to be accessible like the INI file is.

• Moderators
Is there a way I can back up or export these settings and easily re-apply them to a fresh installation? They're stored in the SQLite database as far as I know, which doesn't appear to be accessible like the INI file is.

The .ini file should point to a database file, simply stop the server, copy the file somewhere, then restart it.

You can do live copies (I do it all the time) but it's not guaranteed to work because of how sqlite actually works so if you're just taking the one backup, better to stop the server temporarily.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Moderators
Yeah, I wasn't sure if the database structure had changed at all from v1.2.5 to v1.2.9 making the old file incompatible -- but it turns out it works just fine.

Thanks!

For reference, the database structure has changed, but Murmur will cope just fine and will upgrade the database without a hitch the vast majority of the time (I can't guarantee there's no bugs).

Probably don't want to try go backwards though.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

For reference, the database structure has changed, but Murmur will cope just fine and will upgrade the database without a hitch the vast majority of the time (I can't guarantee there's no bugs).

Probably don't want to try go backwards though.

Ah, I see.

And I just woke up this morning to reports from my users that many of them can't log in to the server anymore (probably 30% of them). The server logs show "Rejected connection from :: Invalid server password" for each failed login attempt, but:

• These users had the correct password (I used the same one as before).
  • These users were NOT registered, so there shouldn't have been a certificate conflict.

I "fixed" it by setting certrequired = false in the INI, but I wish I didn't have to do that. I had similar problems back when I upgraded from 1.2.2 to 1.2.5, but people were registered then and just had to get their old registrations cleared out -- it was precisely because of that incident that they stopped registering at all. But I'm certain that most of them still had certificates in general. One even tried re-creating his in the certificate wizard and it still wouldn't work.

Was there something I could have done to prevent this?