This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

enforce push to talk?

mumbleadmin 14

• Moderators
is there a way to enforce push to talk?

i tried google and found it is requested often but nothing indicating it is implemented. it could be an ini setting so it is configurable in the event some admins don't want it on.

or is there maybe a plugin that can do this?

It's probable you're the same person I spoke to on IRC, but I'll answer here anyway for the benefit of future searchers.

No, it's not currently possible. I don't speak for the main devs, but I'm pretty sure it's unlikely to be implemented as it's completely unenforceable. The only real solution is good moderators (a person is transmitting a heap of noise, moderator asks "are you using PTT?" and if they refuse to and keep transmitting noise, they get kick/banned), and since they'd be necessary anyway (because it's utterly unenforceable) I don't really see the point in having the code to do it, since it would imply a guarantee that we can't deliver on.

I do recall suggesting a while back that it be implemented in the suggestConf message, which would simply mean that if you didn't have PTT enabled a message would pop up on connect asking you to do so (but in no means implying enforcement), but I don't think anything's happened with that idea for the reasons mentioned above.

Mumble is complicated enough as it is, and is riddled with obscure cases that we can't reproduce let alone fix, adding more code to implement a feature that can't really ever do what it says on the box just seems silly, IMHO. :(

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.