This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Manually set my public server's country

Tangeek

Hi everyone !

I hope I'm in the right forum, since it can be considered both a request and a technical problem. If not, sorry.

I have this server that I'm self-hosting at my place. I made it public and it is in the public servers list, under my country. Which is perfect (I'm even the ONLY registered server in the entire country, which is pretty funny :lol: ).

But now, for several reasons, I have to "move" my server (= the configuration files and database) to a friend's VPS, located in another country. Now my question is : is there any way to force my server to appear in its original country ? Because almost all its users are in it, the language is of that country, etc... It just so happens that the machine hosting it is somewhere else. :/

I checked the documentation and asked on the #mumble channel, but there doesn't seem to be a way to manually change it. Could you think of a workaround which would allow me to do so ?

I'll finish by extending this post with another question : do you think we should propose this as a new feature ? Now that I think about it, it would be beneficial for all those who rent a server hosted by someone else. For example, there are A LOT of servers in France, but there's a good bunch of them that are actually strangers who happen to get a subscription to a French provider. Wouldn't it make more sense to have your server listed under the country of its users (at least the majority of them) ?

Anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time to read this. Have a good day.