This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble Overlays EXE's fail to start periodically

Synxis

I'm using the 1.3.0 snapshot version of Mumble so that I can use the 64 bit overlay in Planetside 2. I'm on Win 8.1 and I always start Mumble before launching PS2. However I've found that sometimes the overlay appears and sometimes it does not. I'm not really doing anything differently to start mumble or ps2.

But here is what I've noticed. If I open Task Manager and look for the mumble processes, I sometimes see a different number of mumble processes running. This seems to correspond to when it works and when it doesn't.

When the overlay DOES works, I see the following processes in Task Manager

1. Mumble - Low-Latency VoiIP client (32 bit) --> mumble.exe

2. Mumble - Low-Latency VoIP client (32 bit) --> mumble_ol_helper.exe

3. Mumble - Low-Latency VoIP client --> mumble_ol_helper_x64.exe

When the overlay DOES NOT work, I see the following process:

1. Mumble - Low-Latency VoiIP client (32 bit) --> mumble.exe

So it seems like sometimes the overlay helper processes aren't launching when starting up mumble. This seems random. I ran an experiment where I opened and closed Mumble 10 times in a row. I observed all 3 processes in Task Manager 3 times, however I observed 1 process 7 times. Nothing changed in the way I started mumble or the other programs running in the back ground.

So it seems like the processes are either failing to start or being prevented from starting somehow. I guess my work around right now is just to keep opening and closing Mumble until I get the right processes running, but I'd rather it just work.

Any ideas on what is causing it?

My system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 660 Ti (Driver 353.06)

RAM: 24.00 GB

Resolution: 1920x1080