This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Extremely loud sound at beginning of speaking

Malorcus

I tried to search and find some info regarding this issue but I was not able to locate any. I run a server for my friends, one of whom has this issue.

Occasionally (I was able to find 4 instances over a 1h 40m session) when he begins to speak over mumble his sound gets extremely loud. This seems totally random and if there is a solution out there that anyone knows about I would really appreciate it.

Please see the attachments for examples of this happening.

LoudSounds2.zip

LoudSounds3.zip

LoudSounds4.zip

• Moderators

This is a known bug with OPUS or our implementation of OPUS - we're not sure which. If you connect at least one client that's pre-opus, or I think you can set OPUS threshold to >100 to enforce CELT and the problem goes away, then you've got the same bug multiple of us have to live with. :(

https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/issues/957

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Moderators

I'm honestly not sure. Note that depending on your platform, going to an earlier client may introduce potential security issues.

Might be easier to just see if the admin can play with the opusthreshold setting instead.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.