This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

p2p and mumble

Jay

Whenever I try to connect to a server it says server connection failed, it timed out, and then tries to reconnect again. I have managed to fix this by unblocking p2p networks in my router. However, I don't really want to turn off this block. Is there anything I can do to fix it without unblocking p2p connections?

• Administrators

Mumble uses a very obvious client server architecture.

I guess your router makes wrong assumptions on what “p2p” is (which in the end is very vague or everything if you consider the server a peer as well).

Mumble uses TCP for the control channel, and UDP for voice.

Maybe the router does not like UDP, or the amount of streaming packets that come in.

Compared to other streaming services, I guess Mumble sends a lot of smaller packets more quickly (low latency voice after all).