This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Something Incredibly Petty: Version Number.

Marz

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for a security update and am grateful for all the hard work the mumble devs have done. As the title states I know it's petty but it's really grinding my gears. How do you go from version 1.2.9 back to 1.2.1 (1.2.10)? Could this not have just been called 1.2.91? It makes it look like the person responsible for naming the release doesn't know how to count.. Multiple people on my server have noticed and it was glaringly obvious to me.

• Moderators

Check out semantic versioning.

It has nothing to do with counting, it has to do with you guys erroneously treating version numbers as decimal fractions. The first clue that this is incorrect probably ought to have been the second '.' character, but regardless. :geek:

Treating them as decimals implies multiple things that are simply not true: 1.2.5 is not "half way" through the 1.2 series, and 1.2.9 is not the release immediately prior to 1.3.0 (though for a time it was certainly appearing that way).

The versions are simply three integers strung together, with a major version, minor version and a revision - nothing more is implied. Unfortunately this makes string sorting not particularly easy, but it's the way versioning works. If it's any consolation (it probably isn't), we can go all the way up to 1.2.255 before the code in src/Version.cpp breaks.

TL;DR: Read the version as Major 1, Minor 2, Revision 9, rather than 129/100.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Moderators
Fair enough. It's the first time I've ever seen it happen. The more you know.

No problem. For what it's worth, Linux does the same thing, and Microsoft are extreme offenders in the Windows 10 Technical Preview:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.9926]

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10162]

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Moderators

TL;DR: The next version will be 1.3.0 not 1.2.6. The next feature release after that 1.4.0 and so on.

LOL