This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Run Mumble client from CLI under Debian/Linux on a headless

Moike

Greetings,

I am building a Debian Mumble server on a Raspberry Pi 2 that runs headless that clients connect to remotely. But I would like to have a local client on the server so I can have a microphone/speaker/PTT button sitting on top the physical server that will allow me to communicate to the channel (only one active) despite the server being headless.

I can't find any clear mumble documentation on if you can in fact start mumble from the command line without using a desktop manager and still have access to the microphone/speaker/USB PTT button.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction for a solution?

Thanks,

• Moderators

I'll quote Natenom's reply from r/Mumble here for search purposes:

You can use X virtual framebuffer: Xvfb :1 & mumble mumble://username@hostname:64738?version=1.2.0 -display :1

or

Try barnard: https://github.com/layeh/barnard

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.