This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Introduction + Rights to edit Wiki

junketsu

Dear fellow Mumble users,

I have been using Mumble for some time now and I'm fond of it. Not especially about the quality of the audio but more about the very low latency. Soms guys tell me to go to Skype since that also has a low latency (OK, comparting to TeamSpeak everything has low latency :lol: ) but then you have to sign up which makes the thresshold for 'just-trying' too high. Mumble has the good stuff of both sides (low latency, no sign up).

Anyway to the point now. I haven't been coding in C++ for some time now and right now i'm spoiled with all the managed languages like C# and Java where the base functions are very easy to comprehend instead of functions like strtok (It's funny, i couldn't find anymore functions.. Perhaps i'm a better coder than seven months ago :roll: ).

What i would like to say is that i would like to help to contribute qua coding but for starters I would like to help with updating the Wiki pages of Mumble.

Greetings,

Junketsu

With kind regards,

Junketsu

• Administrators

Hello and welcome to our forums junketsu,

good to hear you like mumble and want to contribute. Our wiki definitely can use some more hands to keep it up to date and improve it. No need to ask for permission (or rights) though. Just register an account with the wiki and wait three days for the account to become enabled for editing (sorry about that, it's a real nuisance but very effective against spammers).

If you want to contribute on the coding side you'll be glad to hear that since Mumble (and Murmur) heavily relies on the Qt-Framework for most stuff it is doing you shouldn't have to feel much of the pain of normal C++ programming. Also Qt is very easy to pick up (excellent documentation and tons of tutorials/resources on their site and out there) :D

If you have any questions, or just want to get a better insight on what we (and our community) are actually doing drop by in our IRC channel #mumble on freenode.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I did not know about the 3-day timespan, maybe I overlooked it at the registration form or it will be one of the first things (to try) to change when I get the rights of the Wiki :)

Qt-Framework looks good by the way, in a few days I willl take a look at Building Mumble in Visual Studio and see if I can make it build. Otherwise I will pay a visit to the IRC channel ;)

With kind regards,

Junketsu