This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Lost Packets

IanB

I recently joined a new guild and I've been trying to use their Mumble but each time I try I can't make out anything being said (all I hear is tiny fractions of words) and when I hover over their server name on the Mumble connect panel I see a packet loss often over 80% and for over an hour last night at 100% loss. Other people in the guild using their server are having no issues. However at the same time my own Mumble server, which is hosted on Mumble, is working perfectly for me. I am using client version 1.2.10 but I note that the problem server is using 1.2.4. I'm using Windows 10.

Can you suggest why I'm having this problem? At the moment I don't even know where to start, I don't know if this problem is likely to lie with the server, the Mumble on that server, my computer/setup, my ISP or what. I did try contacting the LSG online Mumble support but all they would say was that they couldn't help because they don't host this server.

Thanks

Ian

• Moderators

The fact that another Mumble server works fine for you just about rules out a problem with Mumble itself and probably your computer. The most likely culprit is something wrong with the route between your PC and that particular server, which the owner of the server would have to contact their host with your IP address, and I'd include screenshots of the crazy high packet loss too.

You're not, for example, using an IPv6 tunnel or a cheap VPN at home are you?

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

Thanks for your input. I don't have either of those things! You say that probably rules out Mumble but my server (the working one) is running 1.2.10 the same as my client but the server with the problems is running 1.2.4. Is it likely that this is a cause?