This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Murmur on RPi using DS-Lite

En1gm4

Hey guys,

i set up a murmur server (debian package - 1.2.4) on my Raspberry Pi (B+). I also configured my router to open the ports of the device.

Because of the length of an IPv6 address, I used MyFritz! together with a CNAME record.

So the chain is like this: CNAME -> MyFritz! AAAA record (updated by router itself) -> IPv6 of the RPi

Now it comes to the Problem:

If I add the server to my favourites on a local computer using the IPv6 or the MyFritz! record, it shows the Server and I can connect using both.

If I use the CNAME instead, Mumble seems to be unable to find the server...

Using this tool:

http://www.subnetonline.com/pages/ipv6-network-tools/online-ipv6-port-scanner.php

Shows that the Port (64738) is opened on all three addresses, including the CNAME record.

In addition, users seem to be unable to connect to the server from outside.

Any ideas what is going wrong/what I am doing wrong?

Please provide your concrete setup. If you don't want to provide actual hostnames or addresses, you can replace actual data with symbolic values, e.g., hostnames with blah.example.com, IPv6 addresses with some kind of local address (e.g., something under fec0::/10). Just be precise enough to describe potential misconfiguration.

Alright, the IP of the server is AAAA:AAAA:AAAA:AAAA:ba27:ebff:fe51:70d9 (with AAAA:AAAA:AAAA:AAAA being the subnet assigned by my provider) right now.

To make it easier for users to connect I created the myfritz record: raspberrypib..myfritz.net and the cname record en1gm4..com which is just a link to the myfritz address.

As the Fritz!Box just has 1 LAN Port, I have a switch between my devices and the router (if that does matter).

As for the server config: I just set a password, changed the MOTD and the max user count.

the host entry is just blank, so you could connect using every available address.

Edited by En1gm4

Please verify that your myfritz.net dynamic entry does not point to invalid information, e.g., a likely useless IPv4 address through an A record.

CNAMEs, undesirable as they may be, do not seem to be an issue for the client's DNS resolver (tested on 1.2.10).

using the dig function (which performs nslookups, if I understand correctly) searching for AAAA gives the result:

dig  @8.8.8.8 raspberrypib.<long-generic-number-here>.myfritz.net AAAA 

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-25.P1.el5_11.3 <<>> @8.8.8.8 raspberrypib.<long-generic-number-here>.myfritz.net AAAA
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 44986
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;raspberrypib.<long-generic-number-here>.myfritz.net. IN AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
raspberrypib.<long-generic-number-here>.myfritz.net. 59 IN AAAA AAAA:AAAA:AAAA:AAAA:ba27:ebff:fe51:70d9

;; Query time: 33 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 29 13:08:39 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 87

while looking for an A record gives the following:

dig  @8.8.8.8 raspberrypib.<long-generic-number-here>.myfritz.net A 

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-25.P1.el5_11.3 <<>> @8.8.8.8 raspberrypib.<long-generic-number-here>.myfritz.net A
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31352
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;raspberrypib.<long-generic-number-here>.myfritz.net. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
myfritz.net.		0	IN	SOA	ns1.myfritz.net. admin.avm.de. 666057995 3600 1200 86400 1

;; Query time: 32 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 29 13:11:32 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 111

So searching for an A record seems to give no answer. (selecting record type ANY just returnes the AAAA record)

edit: dig function is from the website named in original post

Edited by En1gm4

Alright, I just noticed that this is not mumble/murmur related.

I changed my system to use Google DNS Server (as the dig of the website used it too) and now all addresses work for me to connect.

Thanks anyways!

edit:

If anyone else is having this issue using a Fritz!Box: there is a setting called "dns rebind protection" where you have to enter those domain names whose dns requests should be answered!