This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

IPv6 problems

stian

Hi,

I'm running a mumble server for a few of my friends, and I have noticed that those who connect to it with ipv6 experiences some problems. Everything works fine for hours/days, but sooner or later they can no longer hear or speak. They can write and read in chat, but there is no sound and the icons do not light up when others speak. Reconnecting to the server fixes the problem, but it always returns after a day or so. My workaround is to just disable ipv6 for the server, since the ipv4 clients can stay connected for weeks with no problems, but I am wondering if it is a problem other have or if there is something specific with my setup. The server log does not list any changes for the affected client either.

• 7 years later...

It seems that some users have sometimes problems connection to my Mumble server since it uses IPv4 and IPv6 and since all of my DNS entries to the server contain AAAA records.

I have this problem on Android with Plumble. On a connection where IPv6 and IPv4 are available and when I use the m.natenom.com DNS entries the server is shown as offline. When using the IPv4 IP address it works.

It also works when using the DNS entries on a IPv4 only connection.

I don’t know if this is an issue of my Android, of Plumble or of my Internet Service Provider.

To solve this issue temporarily I created these two new DNS entries:

• ipv4.mumble.natenom.com -> contains only an A record to the IPv4 address
  • ipv6.mumble.natenom.com -> contains only an AAAA record to the IPv6 address