This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Command-Line Operation

thom-mh

I'm not sure where to post this, so I will stuff it in general and see if it gets moved.

Does mumble support command-line usage? I am looking for a linux based chat program that I can invoke from the command line. I would also require PTT.

Also, can the server be installed and if I have multiple sound cards, can I set it with a .conf file or something to pick which sound card I want to use?

Thanks.

Where I am going with this is I am trying to find a program that will relay spoken voice to my home automation server.

I have several tablet PC's in different areas of my house and I want to have a way to relay spoken commands to the server. Ideally I want to be able to walk up to a tablet, push the PTT button, and say 'computer, turn off all the lights'. The server can have the sound from mumble pipe into the microphone input and know what I have said that way.

I don't want to install microphones all thru the house, and I don't want the computer getting confused if I have music playing so if I install two sound cards I can dedicate soundcard 2 to mumble and leave sound card 1 for everything else.

And sorry, to make things a little more clear, will the server run in command line operation. I'm trying to not have to run X on my server.

The tablets will be running X and logging into a mozilla session. If mumble will run in the background, on a different desktop, but still have the PTT button active, that would be sweet.

I'll download it and start mucking around with it and see how I make out.

Thanks.

• Administrators

And sorry, to make things a little more clear, will the server run in command line operation. I'm trying to not have to run X on my server.

Yes, of course!

There’s already bots who can delay voice-talking to other channels etc., but those still need a client as talker.