This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Partial Connections to Hosted Server

rooman0t8

I running Debian squeeze on an ARM based Sheeva plug and have installed the mumble-server package version 1.2.2-4. I have configured the .ini file and assigned the SuperUser password.

The trouble is that when I connect with either a windows or mac Mumble client, v1.2.2, I only partially connect to the server. More specifically, with normal users I connect but cannot see or join any channels; the only one that shows up is Root which is supposed to be renamed in the .ini file. When I try to join with SuperUser I am never prompted for a password, cannot access any of the configuration server configuration options in the client, and as with normal users only see the inaccessible Root channel.

The reason I know that am at least partially connected is that if I restart the mumble-server process the clients get disconnection notices and will see when it comes back up. I am running with and have opened the default port and have disabled QOS packets in my client per instruction of the FAQ.

Any info or advice is much appreciated.

• Administrators

Why do you think you’re only partially connected if you’re on the server and can see the root channel?

Where did you try to set your channame?

The root channel will be renamed if it’s a regstered public server (which also shows on the public server list).

When logged in as SuperUser check Server -> Access Tokens if your PW is set.

If it is, it has been remembered and you don’t have to enter it again.

Mh, what do you mean with inaccessible? (root chan)

By default there’s only a root channel, so you won’t see any other channels as theres no other.

If you’re SuperUser you should however be able to add sub-channels, edit the ACL etc.

1. I say partially connected because neither the SuperUser or normal users can join the Root channel and start communicating; this is what I meant with "inaccessible". This is the real issue that I don't understand. I suspect that everything else is related or a symptom.

2. I set tried to set the Root channel name with the "registerName=" field in the .ini file, but I can see how that would only work if it were publicly registered and the server is not.

3. The SuperUser has never yet been prompted for a password so I know it is not cached or stored anywhere. When I do try to sign on with the SuperUser I cannot see the areas to alter channels or ACLs.

• Administrators
1. I say partially connected because neither the SuperUser or normal users can join the Root channel and start communicating; this is what I meant with "inaccessible". This is the real issue that I don't understand. I suspect that everything else is related or a symptom.

If there’s only the root channel, how can you see yourself and others then?

You’re probably already in it!?

If you still think you’re not and can’t enter, maybe provide a screenshot.

But not being in a channel is not possible; and if there’s only Root chan then you’re in that one.

3. The SuperUser has never yet been prompted for a password so I know it is not cached or stored anywhere. When I do try to sign on with the SuperUser I cannot see the areas to alter channels or ACLs.

When you’re logged in, your name is SuperUser though?

Is your account, you’re then logged in with, registered? (see icon behind name)