This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

NEWBI mumble vs mumble server

allegfede

Hello everybody, installing mumble on a pair of machine (ubuntu).

One will be a laptop routing the nation, the other a fixed pc.

The idea is to have the laptop user to "ring" the fixed machine for and high quality audio 2way connection.

My question is: the fixed machine have to be a mumble server or mumble could run peer2peer?

Thanks.

Federico

• Moderators

Mumble requires a client/server connection, it's not designed for P2P. Richard Stallman suggests "Ekiga, Mumble, Jitsi" so you might look into one of the other two software packages and see if they're P2P if running a server isn't something you want to do.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

I installed the server and runs quite well on an old dell 2950.

Do you think i can install the client on the same machine?

The reason is that the server has installed a multichannel sound card and i got 4 mono outputs and 4 input unused and i wish to get audio i/o from that machine.

The audio routing at the moment is made trough jack, any known problem with mumble and jack ?

thanks a lot,

Federico

:D

• Moderators

Lots of people run a server on the same machine as their client, it should work fine.

I don't know the first thing about Jack though, sorry.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you figure this out Fredrico?

It sounds like you were on the right track.

Essentially: Install the Murmur server onto your "fixed PC". Also, setup a Mumble client on the PC as well. Have it connect to "localhost" at whatever port you set Murmur to listen on.

Setup a client on your laptop.

You're going to have to connect over the internet (via port fowarding and dynamic DNS or static IP, or VPN).

I don't understand your audio routing question though. But there are many options available and you should be able to use what you want.

• 5 months later...