This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

new laptop, new install, can't connect to any server

Lipase

Good afternoon,

I got a new laptop 2 days ago and can't connect to my friend's mumble server which we've been using for atleast a year. Windows 8.1 64-bit version. windows defender but no anti virus

[2:08:31 PM] Server connection rejected: Wrong certificate or password.

I have the right address and password. I made another certificate, got a Comodo certificate and that didn't help

help, I can't SMITE if I can't tell my team mates I'm diving...

• Moderators

You either need to dig up the certificate from your old machine - a new one won't do for authentication. The Comodo one would work, as long as the server trusts Comodo as a CA (probably does) and your account has an email address on it that matches the one on your paid certificate, but if that's not the case then you're quite literally someone else from the server's perspective.

When you say you're putting in the password, do you mean the server password or a password for your user? Because your username is registered, the server password is irrelevant. The server password is only for unregistered users.

So your options:

• Pick a different username, use the "server password" to get on the server, and re-register yourself.
  • Have the admin of the server delete your user, so you can re-register with the same username as you would a different one.
  • Have the admin set your user password to something you know, and communicate it to you so you can have the server update your certificate to the new one.
  • Have the admin set the email on your account to the one that matches your paid certificate and see if that helps.
  • Dig up the old cert off your old machine (fire up mumble on it, go to certificate wizard, export the certificate to a file, copy to new machine + import.

Note that both the first two options will mean you won't have any previous ACL access you had before.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.