This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Mumble stops transmitting in FFX|V, Win10

Jere

I just recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on my desktop, and have had problems with Mumble will work just fine (if I run it as administrator) and load FFX|V, but it will just stop transmitting my voice after a while.

I use Push-to-talk, and I can still hear other people just fine. I end up having to close Mumble completely, and then restarting it to be able to talk again.

I run 1.2.13, server runs 1.2.11.

Let me know what to submit if needed to figure this out. It's becoming annoying trying to play and not being able to respond to people.

Are there any event error codes showing from the applications?

Perhaps, check the event viewer logs in Windows to see if there is anything there. Its hard to guess what could be causing that. I've seen something similiar happen before. Sometimes voice transmission will get stuck on but not actually transmit anything. Sometimes clicking push to talk or changing input/output settings will help. Everything you've reported is a bit vague. I'm not sure what could be causing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

First of all, please don't run Mumble as the Adminstrator user. It breaks things.

If you *need* to run Mumble as Administrator for some applications to receive Push-to-Talk key presses, it might be because you've installed Mumble to a custom location (not C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Windows only allows Mumble to capture global keypresses for elevated programs if it is installed in one of those locations.

TL;DR

Don't run Mumble as Administrator. Ensure it's installed in the default location (C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files (x86)).

• Administrators

One thing to try is to determine what's going wrong:

Is Mumble no longer recording your voice? Once you cannot use your Push-to-Talk key, try going to Self -> Audio Statistics. Does the bar for the microphone move? If it does, Mumble is still recording, so that's good.

Is Mumble no longer receiving keypresses? For this, I recommend you try to bind a key to something like self-mute and deafen. Then, when you encounter the issue where you can no longer use Push-to-Talk, try to use your new key bind. Does it work? If so, Mumble can still receive keypresses, so that's good.

If both of those "work", then the issue is something else: probably network related, we can troubleshoot that once we know more about your issue.

Thanks!

First of all, please don't run Mumble as the Adminstrator user. It breaks things.

If you *need* to run Mumble as Administrator for some applications to receive Push-to-Talk key presses, it might be because you've installed Mumble to a custom location (not C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Windows only allows Mumble to capture global keypresses for elevated programs if it is installed in one of those locations.

TL;DR

Don't run Mumble as Administrator. Ensure it's installed in the default location (C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files (x86)).

Sorry to hijack but I was under the impression that you needed to run Mumble in admin mode in order for the overlay to work. Is this no longer the case? Or is running in admin mode the fix (and worth the "breaks") when the overlay is not working?