This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Audio from other people can't be heard after ~20 minutes

theLokae

Currently running Mumble 1.2.15 on Win 8.1 and haven't had a problem until recently moving to a new house.

After around 20 minutes, I can't hear people in my mumble server/channel. There is no mute/deaf icon or notification in the log that I can tell. The people in the channel can hear me fine but I can't hear them. This happens consistently after 15-20 minutes on Mumble and the only way to fix it is to restart the client.

If there is a log or something to indicate why this is happening I'll gladly provide it if you can tell me how. Please help this is driving me crazy!!!

• Moderators

Assuming you're not the same person I spoke to on IRC about this, suspect your router. In my experience, these sorts of issues are almost always the router trying to be smart and making assumptions about UDP packets. There may not be much you can do, but you can try setting up a gaming "trigger" - where an outgoing TCP connection to the port the Mumble server is running on creates an inbound forward for UDP packets on the same port. This doesn't always work.

Failing that, forcing TCP mode in Mumble will probably fix the problem, at the cost of introducing others (any packet loss on the TCP stream will cause lag spikes as the entire stream is held up until the missing packet is sent again).

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't been on IRC in years so I don't think we've spoken before.

I did get a new router recently (Netgear AC1200 Smart Wifi Router) when I moved to the new place so you are probably right on the money. Going to try and Force TCP mode for now and then look into setting up a port forward on the router settings. I'm not super familiar with doing that but if you have a link that explains how to do that, I'd be very much obliged. Thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

FIXED! Forcing TCP mode seems to have done the trick. I also set up a port forward on the port Mumble uses but when I disabled TCP mode it started going out again. I guess I'll have to deal with the poor quality of TCP mode for now. Thanks.