This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Public registration issue

Homosapien

Hi,

I've been running a publicly listed Murmur server for the past three or so years, but it recently disappeared from the server browser.

The log reveals the following details:

<W>2016-09-02 17:32:06.496 1 => Registration: SSL Handshake error: The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found
<W>2016-09-02 17:32:06.515 1 => Registration: SSL Handshake error: The root CA certificate is not trusted for this purpose
<W>2016-09-02 17:32:06.521 1 => Registration failed: SSL handshake failed

At first I was completely stumped as it felt like this just happened out of the blue, but then it dawned on me that this started after I changed the NIC in my server.

Can anyone please help me out with getting my server publicly listed again?

Clear the entry on your end and let me register a fresh one if that's what's easier.

I have all the register parameter values at hand (they haven't changed), and I can provide logs from the past three years to a moderator to prove my identity and ownership of the server.

• Moderators

Hi there,

Can you PM me a hostname to the server?

The registration server seems to be complaining that it can't verify your certificate (the first two lines are replies from the registration server). It's possible something is broken with the registration server. Are you using an auto-generated self-signed certificate or a CA-signed one?

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• Administrators

Hi,

From the registration output, it seems like your server doesn't accept our root CA anymore.

I talked to fwaggle and got your server info, and noticed that it's a Windows server...

Windows's root CA store auto-fetches certs. Murmur 1.2.16 on Windows doesn't trigger this fetch, and thus you can get into situations where Murmur will not register.

Can you try to visit https://mumble.info/ in IE? That should ensure that Windows has the root CA in its store. Then, restart Murmur and try again.

Sorry for any trouble.

I talked to fwaggle and got your server info, and noticed that it's a Windows server...

Yup, 2008 R2 SP1.

Can you try to visit https://mumble.info/ in IE? That should ensure that Windows has the root CA in its store. Then, restart Murmur and try again.

That URL brings me to what appears to be the stock Apache landing page, but I do now get

<W>2016-09-03 14:37:58.502 1 => Registration: New registration successful

what confuses me is that it says new registration - did you guys do anything on your end?

If you didn't wipe my old registration, shouldn't it just update it since all the details are unchanged in my config file?

I can see my server is being listed again now, I'm just curious as to what exactly happened.

Many thanks for you help!