This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

check what was IP address of the user in logs

bischop

I want to check what was IP address of the user with nick 'NICK-NAME" who connected to mumble-serwer. Is it possible somehow on mumble serwer logs or raspberry pi system ?

# uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.34-v7+ #930 SMP Wed Nov 23 15:20:41 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)
Release:        8.0
Codename:       jessie

# /usr/sbin/murmurd -version
<F>2017-01-11 01:18:38.861 /usr/sbin/murmurd -- 1.2.8-2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sort of - it's not exactly intuitive. Mumble's logs will look something like this:

2017-01-20 22:00 <71:(-1)> New connection: 123.123.123.123:56584

2017-01-20 22:00 <71:(-1)> Client version 1.2.9 (Win: 1.2.9)

2017-01-20 22:00 <71:JoeUser(42)> Authenticated

The first bit after the timestamp is in the format of . 71 is the connection ID, with (-1) and a blank username because at this point in time the user isn't authenticated yet. You'll note that on the first line, the IP address and source port of the TCP connection are logged.

Later, on line three, the user authenticates. We see the tag switch to username JoeUser and user ID 42.

So what you need to do if you want to know what IP address someone joined from is to go through the logs and look for the username, look for the connection ID, then look from where that connection ID originally connected and you'll find the IP address.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.

• 1 month later...

I want to check what was IP address of the user with nick 'NICK-NAME" who connected to mumble-serwer.

Try this:

cat /var/log/mumble-server/mumble-server.log | grep 'NICK-NAME' -n -B 4 -m 1 | grep 'New connection:' -m 1 | awk '{print $NF}'

All you need to do to search logs are learn how to use linux command with parameters. For exmaple start to learn (google) about those on the begining:

• cat

grep

awk

sed

As well try to learn about regExp patterns. You will need it for little more complicated nick names and filtering results.