This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Referral error unavoidable

armorwars1

I'm running windows vista ultimate, I went to the mumble home page to download the Mumble client. There are two versions of the client to download, the first version I downloaded, installed normally, but it wont open it just gives the "Referral was returned by server error". I went to the support page and attempted the fix for that problem but it didn't work. So I downloaded the second version of Mumble for windows. Which downloaded normally but when I attempted to open the file to install it. The file wont open.

So I really could use some assistance.

• Administrators

Hi,

The referral error means there is a problem with validating the code-signing for the Mumble executable.

Is the clock on your computer correctly configured? If not, the validity times for the code-signing certificate will not be valid.

Where did you get your downloads from?

The only place we recommend you download Mumble from is:

https://www.mumble.info/

Please try both the stable release and the developer snapshot.

If nothing else works, you can try following this guide:

https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/203728788-Camtasia-Windows-A-referral-was-returned-from-the-server

This disables the code-signing requirements for programs like Mumble (that use assistive technologies to access global keypresses). However, doing this can be dangerous: the reason Windows has this enabled in the first place is that disabling it makes it very easy for programs to act as a keylogger.