This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Noob question. How do I set up myself as admin?

BiZZ Keryear

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Our documentation is pretty "all over the place" in some respects. The process is outlined here: https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Murmurguide#Becoming_Administrator_and_Registering_a_User

Basically, you want to log in with the username you want to use on a daily basis, and register yourself. Then login as superuser with the password shown in the log (or that you set, if applicable). Edit the groups, and add your other username to the @admin group. Then relog as your own username and enjoy your admin privileges.

It seems convoluted, but it serves a purpose - the superuser account is there as a seldom used "final answer"... that is, if your server is ever hijacked by a rogue admin, they can absolutely remove administration privileges from any other user, but they can't take it away from the superuser, thus the rightful owner of the server can always get it back under control.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.