This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Sound effect for entering channel?

Omicron

In Mumble's sound binding list, how do I set a sound for whenever I enter a channel - like that chime effect Ventrilo has?

There are sound effects for people entering and leaving the channel you are in, but nothing for indicating when you enter a channel.

• Administrators

I don’t think there is such a setting. Probably because joining a channel is an action initiated by you, and it is pretty much instant. So there is no reason to "notify" the user of success.

Do you have a specific use case for this? Do you feel such a notification is necessary or otherwise useful?

I don’t think there is such a setting. Probably because joining a channel is an action initiated by you, and it is pretty much instant. So there is no reason to "notify" the user of success.

Do you have a specific use case for this? Do you feel such a notification is necessary or otherwise useful?

In Ventrilo, if you were manually picked from where you were and dropped into a channel, the "channel joined chime" would indicate this via sound so you know you were moved. Not all of us like or can have an overlay to see this, and the sound for joining a channel was always beneficial.

On top of this, for those of us used to Vent and the feedback it gave us, not having a "channel joined" feedback sound is a bit jarring.

Unlike SRV records (which are a bit more complex,) I can't see too much of an issue adding in a "sound hook" for joining a channel like the rest of the indicator sounds and list leaving it blank by default. Therefore, those of us who want the channel join sound can set it.

Do we actually not have a notification when you are moved by someone else? Don't see it. Definitely agree that should have a notification.

There might be some sort of generic "something happened" message, but a specific "you joined a channel" sound binding is infinitely more effective at telling you both that you joined a channel, or someone moved you into another channel. A single binding for "you or you got moved into a channel" clarifies the action without introducing unneeded complexity.

And aside from that, it's just jarring not to have a sound confirmation that you joined a channel, or were moved into one by any source.

EDIT: Look at Ventrilo, not for the archaic disaster as it is now, but for the trend it set for common UI actions.

Thanks, I'd would have posted it on there as well, but I have no Github account - nor any interest in making one at the moment.

It would be nice if the proposed feature worked on both you initiating the channel switch, as well as someone else dragging you into the channel just like Ventrilo does.

However, if this is preferred to only be for someone else initiating the action, there should be two sound bindings - one for you getting moved into the channel, and one for letting you know that you successfully joined a channel of your own action (as a followup to just regular visual feedback.)

This seems small, but it's a major part of nostalgia and usability for those of us switching from Ventrilo.

You guys might not realize it, but Mumble is currently the only good solution - and perhaps the last good desktop non-SIP based VOIP program out there. Ventrilo is a museum piece, and TS really misses the mark in terms of what makes a VOIP program good.

Having both a "you initiated" and a "someone else initiated" a channel switch/move sound effect is crucial for this.

• 6 months later...