This is a read-only archive of the Mumble forums.

This website archives and makes accessible historical state. It receives no updates or corrections. It is provided only to keep the information accessible as-is, under their old address.

For up-to-date information please refer to the Mumble website and its linked documentation and other resources. For support please refer to one of our other community/support channels.

Multi User channels

tyoshu

i am new to mumble so trying to understand if i can run a server that has multiple channels with multiple users on those channels listening/talking capability at the same time? i have been looking thru the documentation but havent found anything yet. Thanks for the help.

• Moderators

You can link the channels, so the audio is plumbed to multiple channels at once, and then control that behaviour using ACL rules, which results in a rather complicated system (the canonical example is a tree where squad leaders can talk to each other and their squad, but members in the squad can only hear each other and their commander). You can also whisper/"shout" to channels you're not in.

As far as the UI is concerned though, you're only ever in one channel at a time.

Full disclosure: I used to run a commercial Mumble host, and my opinions do not reflect the opinions of the Mumble project.